Friday, September 25, 2009

4th of July...in Italy?

My Italian family wanted to celebrate 4th of July for me! The 4th of July is a very fun holiday in America but also for me it is one of my favorites. In Lake Arrowhead is it prime summer which means all the friends meet up to do one thing, have fun at the lake. There is an unannounced common knowlege for the locals and former locals of the mountain that everyone knows to just "meet up" around this time of year to celebrate 4th of July and watch the fireworks over the lake. Including: boating, wakeboarding, waterskiing, boat parties, getting tans, dock parties. It is a yearly tradition for me to go to Lake Arrowhead (if Im not already there that time of year) to see old friends and to be the way we all remember being, which to us is the same. This past year I obviously was not at the lake but at the sea in the south of Italy with my baby girl and my husband Gimmy and my wonderful Italian family that wanted to celebrate this fun day for me. And indeed it was just as fun.

First things first, we went to the market to get our supplies: hamburgar makings, check out the packaging for the hamburger buns...Italian sausage for hotdogs, beer and fireworks!

BBQing the hamburgers and "hotdogs"

The party

Gimmys lighting the fireworks

Gimmy running away from the fireworks

The firworks! Ha ha!

Vincenzo skinning the morena. A morena is an eel like fish that has a very good taste but watch out for the bones they are like a snakes in which both sids of the bone are sharp, they are curved, and they "float" freely in the flesh of the fish.

We BBQed the fish that night and had it for dinner. Very fresh.

Princess Sisi

No comments: